[OSM-talk] Disable Potlatch finally.

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Wed Dec 17 00:24:55 GMT 2008

On 16 Dec 2008, at 18:16, Peter Miller wrote:

> On 16 Dec 2008, at 17:21, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Absolutely. Wikipedia haven't succumbed  to the "Disable TextArea
>>> Finally" campaign, despite how easy it is to make mistakes when
>>> editing pages. I'm glad I don't have to download a java program in
>>> order to fix typos :-P
>>
>> Wikipedia has watchlists, recent changes and observable histories.
>> It's easy to roll back mistakes. This isn't the case with OSM
>> (although it might be once 0.6 is out). For instance someone
>> deleted a
>> landuse area I added some time in the last three months and I don't
>> even have the first idea how to begin tracking down who did it. when,
>> and how to restore it.
>>
> Please excuse the self promotion, but OSM Mapper (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Mapper
> ) does currently allow one to monitor for changes to ways in a watched
> area which you can then monitor using RSS. It does not currently spot
> deletions and does not current monitor changes to node features (only
> changes to ways). We will however be adding that functionality in the
> new year but it is useful already to spot most vandalism and also to
> spot and welcome new contributors in your patch.

I'd like a visualisation of the changes to relations.

> I am very keen for data to be entered as 'sessions' with a check in
> text message - I am not sure if 0.6 will achieve this but hope it
> will. We make up our own sessions for OSM Mapper based on a time lag
> between submissions. I am also keen that transaction locking ensures
> that we don't ever have messed up coastline because someone broke the
> coastline 10 seconds before midnight and the mended it 10 seconds
> after midnight which causes problems for the planet file. There are
> other cases where this will cause problems. I recently took a section
> of trunk road apart locally after some major road modifications and
> was conscious that for a short period of time the data was unusable on
> the server. I would have preferred to make all my changes locally then
> press submit and add into a text box a message about what I had done
> (as with wikipedia).

In 0.6, changesets are not atomic. Doing so would have been
problematic to live editors like Potlatch. So 2 changesets can
interweave. There are currently limits set on changsets:
* Maximum 50,000 edits (Not a hard limit, so some changeset may have
up to twice as much).
* Maximum duration of 1 day
* Maximum idle time of 1 hour
As the API doesn't look at tags, there is no guarantee that there will
be a comment message. It is recommended that every editor creates a
created_by tag, and a comment tag for each changeset.

Is OSM Mapper ready for 0.6?

Shaun