[OSM-talk] Collecting public transportation time tables

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 18:29:08 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Adam Schreiber <sadam at clemson.edu> wrote:
>> I wound be very interested to see the first time that a transport
>> authority took a person to court for promoting their services but
>> there may be a first time! I do suggest that this is a different
>> project from OSM though.
>
> Yes, but certainly tied to OSM data though.  It would be very cool if
> from this other project, people could assemble routes from nodes
> already tagged as bus/train stops, add time table info for routes
> already in the OSM DB and set nodes as the appropriate stops.  This
> would probably need some form of a heavily modified potlache.

I don't see why this needs to be a separate project. We already have
Key:opening_hours for amenities, why not Tag:highway:bus_stop with
additional tags that describe when each bus line stops there and a
relation to map the greater bus route. That should be sufficient
information to map the transit system and the data wouldn't be spread
across two independently maintained databases.