[OSM-talk] Collecting public transportation time tables

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 18:56:40 GMT 2008

<peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:
> > I wound be very interested to see the first time that a transport
> > authority took a person to court for promoting their services but
> > there may be a first time!
>
> actually, I seem to remember reading on either slashdot or
> theregister that it has happened in the last month or so, with a
> transport company sueing some online timetable service, but I can't
> remember the details

There was a bit going on with this iphone app http://trein.naquah.net/
which can be used to look up timetables for the Dutch railway services.
It didn't go to court, but the Dutch railways wanted it removed from
the iphone app store (which hasn't happened AFAIK).

More information (in Dutch, sorry):
http://blog.iusmentis.com/2008/10/11/mag-trein-opzoeken-hoe-laat-de-trein-vertrekt
http://webwereld.nl/articles/53098/ns-wil-verwijdering-iphone-app.html

I guess it's up to lawyers to decide whether database copyright applies
here or not.

Ben