[OSM-talk] Rendering of Place Names in Mapnik

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 17:05:23 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure it is. If a lot of people want to live in a place, in general that
> should make it more notable. Besides, I was only suggesting using population
> as a tiebreaker for equal "place" key values. It's not the final answer, but
> it's objective and it goes a long way toward fixing the problem. I don't
> like your _major and _minor suffixes because they imply different
> population, which is not how you described it.

How do you suggest we find population for places?

I can tell that a town is a regional center, without having to know it's
population. Maybe major/minor is not the best names, however.

How many values should we have for populated places? We have 4 now
(hamlet/village/town/city). Should we add more? Reduce to fewer? Maybe just
one?

 - Gustav