[OSM-talk] Is anyone making public transport routing maps basedon OpenStreetMap data?

Joe Hughes joe at headwayblog.com
Thu Dec 18 17:44:49 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:04 AM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:
> I was wondering however, if any of the authorities in gtfs-data-
> exchange would mind their data about the positioning of bus stops to
> be imported into OSM. Might be worth asking them at some point. The
> current bus stop positions are sometimes not that accurate in the
> official data. The data for Davis often puts bus stops in the middle
> of houses for example.

In my experience, transit agency folks are most concerned by the idea
of others disseminating out-of-date/inaccurate information (as well as
generally losing control of their "brand"), and ultimately the OSM
project should be able to use this to its advantage.  You correctly
point out that licensing could be a challenge; even the GTFS data
that's been intentionally released to the public is generally under
custom licenses that were derived from what the other agencies have
done.  There's real work to be done to find terms that will meet the
needs of both OSM and the transit agencies.  You could go around
making agreements agency-by-agency, but coming up with a standard open
transit data license that agencies find palatable is a much juicier
point of leverage for changing this world.

Joe