[OSM-talk] New mass imports over existing data

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 05:17:32 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Beej Jorgensen <beej at beej.us> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> This is sort of a general question with a specific example, namely,
> Marin County.
>
> Marin County (just north of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco,
> California) already exists in OSM.  It's made of bad TIGER data that has
> been partially corrected (by myself and others).  Streams and trails
> have been added.  Parks have been outlined.
>
> Now it has recently come to light that Marin County provides Free data
> covering the county, and this Free data is of excellent quality.  Roads,
> trails, hydro, and even structure footprints are included.
>
> Now, there are a few courses of action I can imagine.
>
> 1. Indiscriminately blow away all of Marin and replace it with County
> data.  If you made changes, tough luck.
>
> 2. Discriminately blow away specific pieces of the data and replace them
> with County data.  For example, maybe just Mill Valley's roads could be
> replaced, because very little correction has been done there.
>
> 3. Using JOSM or somesuch, visually overlay the OSM data over the County
> data and manually adjust and add ways (cut-n-paste to add) as appropriate.
>
> I doubt there's a specific course of action that would work for all
> cases like we have in Marin County, but are there any other approaches
> people can think of, or pros or cons?
>
> -Beej

Sonoma county (just to the north of Marin) seems to have free data
available, too. As discussed with the Canada import, this would be a great
opportunity to improve JOSM with tools for selective data merging. One of
the better ideas I've seen is the possibility to copy individual elements
from a GIS source layer to an OSM editing layer.

Karl