[OSM-talk] Indiscrimate layering

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Dec 19 23:05:33 GMT 2008

Hi,

Peter Miller wrote:
> I was not aware that the change had not gone through. I though anonymous
> edits were banned. already

They are, client-side, in Potlatch. With any other editor, or talking
directly to the API, you can still make anonymous edits.

> So all those edits by <no name> on OSM Mapper
> are a random selection of unidentified contributors?

Yes. All you know about them is that they haven't used Potlatch in the
last few months because then they'd have had to make their edits public.

> Also, I wonder how we contact them to see if they agree to the new
> licence

The information on who they are (i.e. what screen name they have and
perhaps an e-mail address) is in the database, anyone with database
admin privileges *can* contact them and it has happened in one or two
grave cases in the past that TomH (reluctantly) played messenger between
the community and the mapper.

> 1) Was it the right answer? We do actually have the IP address somewhere
> on the servers so the edit so not really anonymous.

As said, we also have the name; if the Chinese government hacks our
servers and someone was so naive to rely on our not giving out his name
for his privacy then he's in jail.

> 2) Was the decision made is a good way?

We're not talking a decision, we're talking a non-decision. Nobody has
decided that action should not be taken; but nobody has decided that
action should be taken either, so that leaves is with the status quo.

Bye
Frederik