[OSM-talk] Some more shops and amenities for the map features page ...

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Sat Dec 20 18:29:03 GMT 2008

2008/12/21 Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com>

> Hi!
>
> Again, I've added some more shop and amenity values to the map features
> page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features), derived
> from the tagwatch usage statistics
> (http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/Europe/En/index.html).
>
> I've added the following values - with the current tagwatch usage count:
>
> shop=
> computer 115
> department_store 133
> electronics 211
> garden_centre 127
> optician 100
> shoes 140
>
> amenity=
> dentist 133
> doctors 430
> embassy 150
> hunting_stand 501
> signpost 444
>

> It seemed that for these values there were no real "rivals" with equal
> meaning (maybe except for amenity=doctor used 160 times).
>
> If you don't like these values: don't shoot the messenger, the values
> are just in use ...

Not shooting the messenger ;) this is to the wider audience...

What makes an optician's a shop whereas a dentist is an amenity? NHS?
Opticians selling sunglasses?

Is a signpost an amenity or a highway feature? I'd go with highway
feature...

And embassies... I'm not sure amenity fits here either... perhaps a wider
goverment related key would be more suitable?

The rest seem 'right' to me ;)