[OSM-talk] Hiking and Trail riding map

sylvain letuffe liste at letuffe.org
Mon Dec 22 12:07:43 GMT 2008

On Sunday 21 December 2008 23:06, Nop wrote:

> Hi folks!
>

> As I liked the features of the cycle map but rather missed a hiking map
> based on a similar design, I started working on one.

Maybe we could share coding power, configuration power, network ressource
power as I'm working on a similar project :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hiking_Map#OpenHikingMap
( just over the comment you just added )

> You can have a look at an early draft here: http://www.nop.onpw.de/. And
> there the problems start. Currently the test map is located at a free
> webhoster, but it is obvious that the final map will be require some
> magnitudes more webspace.

As I can see, your maps are far better than mine, that's a totally awesome
work !

Could you provide details of the configuration setup you made ? ( mapnik,
database server ? course of action ? )

> So do you have any recommendations for me on where to find webhosting
> for this project? It is a simple set of prerendered tiles and openlayers
> and requires no server side database or applications.
>
> I guess I could use advice and help with this project.

I guess I could too, from you ;-)

- I have a dedicated server offered by my company to play with (with a minor
restriction) but with virtually ilimited bandwidth (100Mbs link)
- something like 1 To disk space, computing power (dual-core 2.6GHZ), 2GO RAM,
and on it whatever I want : web server, postgis install, mapnik libs, ...

Sylvain Letuffe liste at letuffe.org
qui suis-je : http://slyserv.dyndns.org