[OSM-talk] Extract an arbitrary polygon from large OSM file

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Dec 23 18:54:02 GMT 2008

Hi,

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Tanveer Singh <tanveer1979 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a big country OSM.
>> My area of interest is a small part of the same of arbitrary(non
>> rectangular shape)
>> Is there a graphical tool where I can open the country OSM, select the
>> area, and trim the OSM to smaller?
>
> You can use osmosis for this. but it's not graphical.

If you can open the country OSM in any OSM editor - Merkaartor is more
likely to work with really large files than JOSM - then you could draw a
way around the area of interest and save it. Then use the tool
"osm2poly" from SVN (requires the way to be tagged with polygon_id=1 and
polygon_filename=mypoly.poly or so), which will then generate a polygon
file that can be used with the Osmosis --bp task.

If you cannot open the country OSM in any editor then you could still
open your favourite editor and load a WMS (landsat) background and draw
the area on top of that, save as .osm and proceed as above.

Bye
Frederik