[OSM-talk] google wms

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 13:19:35 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:09:40PM +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> I brought this up in IRC a few weeks back, and I know its been brought
> up before that.
> It's also appeared on the mls before, Richard's response pretty much
> sums it up..
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2008-September/011891.html

I’m with that, for Potlatch.  The version of Potlatch thats online on
the OSM site only uploads to OSM.  We can’t use Google’s data to
contribute to OSM, so it would be extremely silly to implement the
ability to.

> I'll also note that it was originally announced on the JOSM mailing list here:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/josm-dev/2007-October/000181.html
> Frederik does make a good point that it could be used for good.

With JOSM, it’s different:  JOSM isn’t tied to the OSM site, you can
upload the data to anywhere else.  However, I do feel that it should do
something to prevent upload to OSM when layers with incompatible terms
of use have been used.

A possible consideration for a future API is to move the check there:
JOSM uploads, and indicates what data sources were used in the editing
session.  Server checks, sees GoogleWMS, replies “I’m sorry Dave, I’m
afraid I can’t do that.”

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall