[OSM-talk] Random thought...

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Fri Feb 1 19:07:58 GMT 2008

Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
> Best to assume that we would be the last to hear from Y! about areas covered
> by imagery. Better to let the community browse and find and add as it pops
> up to the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Yahoo%21_Aerial_Imagery/Coverage

Why make people work at it? Let's write a small tool that takes major
place names and coordinates from GeoNames, turns them into Yahoo's
coordinate system, tries to download the tile at that location with a
couple of different zooms (4 and 3?), checks the resulting PNG for a
preponderance of grey, and stores the results. The number of tiles
downloaded would be a few thousand - almost certainly not enough to come
up on their radar.

For bonus points, find the same area in OSM and count how many nodes are
in it to estimate whether roads have been traced there.

Gerv