[OSM-talk] OSM icons

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 06:15:39 GMT 2008

Ulf Lamping wrote:

> Your way with using URLs has a drawback, as it adds a dependency to
> the OSM Wiki. When the Wiki is down (or the URL moves or so) the
> rendering will missing the icons. However, might be a hypothetical
> issue ;-)
Well that's true to a point, but since Kosmos downloads the icon only
once and then stores it in a cache on disk, I don't think it's really a
drawback in practice. And the URL could be anything, not just OSM wiki -
even local resource.
>> I don't know what are licensing constraints when you download images
>> from internet and display them on maps.
> Copyright constraints? You as the program author should have an answer
> if someone asks you: "I'm using the Kosmos defaults to render an OSM
> map of XY. As Kosmos is licensed under GPL/Apache/BSD/... license, and
> OSM is CC-by-SA-2.0 what is the license of the resulting map?".
>
> To my understanding, the resulting map will be CC-by-SA-2.0. That
> means that you shouldn't use any license incompatible icons here.
>> I guess it's the matter for the user, not the program itself.
> Obviously, it's not very practical if every user would have to find
> the icons on the internet to draw a common map. So Kosmos should come
> with defaults, so it can draw all required icons onto the maps
> (whatever such a "default set" of icons may include or not is up to
> you). As Kosmos is working with OSM data directly (and not using
> slippymap output), as a user I would expect that the icons are coming
> with the program and therefore are under the programs license or are
> specially noted if they have a different license.
>
> In contrast to this, if a user wants to extend this default and add
> his own icons (e.g. because he wants to draw a special purpose map),
> he's obviously responsible about copyright issues of such "private
> icons" himself.
Well the thing is that there aren't any "defaults" in Kosmos as such,
just a sample project with sample OSM data (for which the license is
indicated) and sample rendering rules. And I could just switch the
project to download the rules from OSM wiki
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Category:Kosmos_rules). Or I
could publish Kosmos without any sample project. The philosophy behind
Kosmos is to use shared internet resources as much as possible since I
wanted to make a wiki-like experience in drawing maps. That's why I
hesitate to include any "default" icons with it.
My idea was to provide a tool for drawing maps which targets the OSM
community and not the general public (well at least not for now). So I
guess certain aspects of it which seem impractical to a non-OSM user are
(hopefully) not such a problem for an OSM user. This also applies to
licensing issues - I expect OSM users to respect any copyrights.

Regards,
Igor

--
http://igorbrejc.net