[OSM-talk] [OSM-talk-nl] Recent Edits

Bruce Cowan lists at bcowan.fastmail.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 12:49:32 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 00:29 +0000, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> So if I am editing something, and I know I've done it wrong, but plan to
> fix it later, am I supposed to go to the separate notes interface and
> add a pre-emptive note, rather than use the existing FIXME notation? Or
> do you plan a separate system to show FIXMEs to people about to write
> notes to tell them that their note is already known about?
>
> What does the separate object type gain us exactly, apart from more code
> to maintain?

There are many issues with notes in the actual data:

      * It's not anything to do with the actual feature being mapped.
      * It adds to the complexity of the data. (not really a problem)
      * It wouldn't be possible to do more complex things like reviewing
        a notes.

For instance, someone could mark a feature that should be checked.
Someone else goes and checks and fixes it. There is no way to mark that
"check request" as done if it was done in a note=* tag without just
deleting the tag. If the tag was deleted, it may as well have never
existed. (I realise you could look at its history, but you'd need to
know the ID)
--
Bruce Cowan <bcowan at fastmail.co.uk>