[OSM-talk] Old or dialectal names

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Feb 6 15:02:24 GMT 2008

Enrico,

Welcome!  I've ancestors from not far north of
Torino so I glad to see mapping activity there.

These tags may be what you need:

old_name - Old name
loc_name - Local name

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features - see Name section

I don't they are yet rendered out on the
www.openstreetmap.org views, but at least the
information will be captured for feature use.

Also, purely speculatively, I wonder if the
dialect is supported as an ISO 3-letter code?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-3_codes

We've been using 2-letter codes, so the following might be possible:

name:it=Via Garibaldi
name:xyz=Contrà ad mès

Mike
Stockholm