[OSM-talk] Crazy ways after editing - A real argument for changeset data

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 7 10:24:31 GMT 2008

David Muir Sharnoff wrote:
>Sent: 06 February 2008 10:28 PM
>To: Andy Robinson (blackadder)
>Cc: OSM-Talk Openstreetmap
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Crazy ways after editing - A real argument for
>changeset data
>
>I've now fixed the trouble.   I used JOSM to do it.   Here's what I did:
>
>1.  Figure out how to install JOSM, install/enable YWMS, download data.
>2.  Figure out how to use JOSM a bit.   The key things for me where the
>     select mode, the edit mode, zooming and panning with the keyboard.
>3.  Using potlatch, place a reference dot where the end of one of my
>     broken ways should be.
>4.  Select all the broken stuff.  For me that was both whole ways and
>     selected points from partially-broken ways.
>5.  Tag them with "notes3: Oakland Potlach Fubar"
>6.  Using the scrolling keys, drag the whole lot of them half a screen
>     at  time back to where they should be.
>
>Since it's a problem that's created by Potlatch but needs JOSM to
>repair, it's going to be hard for anyone else who gets hit.
>
>That all said, I wish flash-zoom worked.   I like Potlatch.  In the
>hills of Oakland, it's really hard to see where the streets are even
>with flash-zoom.   Often impossible without.   Sometimes I have to
>compare to Google imagery which is MUCH better.
>
>-Dave

Great that you found a workable and relatively quick solution. Once the
volunteer programming bunch find sufficient time to sort the changeset data
out then these sort of issues should hopefully be easier to deal with.

I can't comment on the flash-zoom functionality but wanted to point out that
comparison with Google's data or anyone else's imagery is not advisable. It
risks tainting the OSM data with derived information so please watch out for
that.

Cheers

Andy