[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] disputed areas

John McKerrell john at mckerrell.net
Sun Feb 10 18:31:38 GMT 2008

On 10 Feb 2008, at 18:09, Jon Stockill wrote:

> John McKerrell wrote:
>
>> I must say, I wondered this earlier, wouldn't this be the simplest
>> option or would it lock out too may people?
>
> One of two things happens:
>
> 1) You've just blocked a proxy address, resulting in lots of innocent
> people being unable to edit anything.
>
> or
>
> 2) The person you've just blocked realises what happened and power
> cycles their modem/router/whatever, gets a new IP address, and
> continues.

Ok, so can we check the traffic before doing this and find out if
this guy has edited from multiple IPs, and if anyone else edits from
the same IP?

I suppose either way they should be able to get around it with an
(open) proxy quite easily, depending on how much effort the guy is
willing to put in (and considering it's been months now, I guess
they're willing to put quite a bit of effort in).

John