[OSM-talk] Shapefile download

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 11 13:07:51 GMT 2008

Hi,

    I'm planning to offer the download of current OSM shapefiles for
various European countries. I've done a test run and there are some
files to play with at: http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/

If you open one of the ".shp.zip" files you'll find one shapefile each
for rivers, roads, railways, buildings, forests/lakes/parks, and POIs.
I've tried to make a sensible selection of attributes; of course no
shapefile can ever contain the breadth of OSM tagging, and if someone
needs something special they can always create their own shapefile from
the source.

If any of you are frequent users of shapefiles (I am not) and have
comments on the structure or attribute choices or something else, just
shout.

The plan is to provide daily updates.

Bye
Frederik