[OSM-talk] representing OSM to data providers

Maning Sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 07:48:11 GMT 2008

Hi,

As I explore possible data sources to be included in the OSM database
(of course always with the restrictions/permission/license requirements
in mind), I have come to realize that there are a lot of
people/institutions willing to provide geodata. Oftentimes there's
catch, which usually is that I provide them the "output", I then
immediately point them to www.openstreetmap.org where they can freely
use the data.

However, in this side of the hemisphere, paper work and institutional
affiliation is necessary for you to engage in such "data exchange"
discussions.  Since OSM is my volunteer/hobby/passion effort, I am not
affiliated with any organization to represent negotiations for OSM.

How do I overcome such "bumps"?  Can I officially say I represent the
OSM project (I'm not even a member of OSMF)?  Does OSMF have some sort
of template communication saying: "we request for XXX data to be part of
the OSM's database"?

Any thoughts?  Please don't make the discussions too legal:)

cheers,

maning

PS Metro Manila, Philippines is getting better by the week!  Thanks to
the increasing number of contributors.
[http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?mlat=14.541720229896098&mlon=121.02042159290963&zoom=9]