[OSM-talk] relations in order not to fragment roads (was: correctly mapping avenues)

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 11:34:22 GMT 2008

On Monday 11 February 2008, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > If we add a thing like segment relations as is proposed, we'll
> > effectively end up with another level next to points, segments and
> > relations (since things like route relations will again have these
> > segment relations contained in them), which will likely increase
> > complexity a lot in my eyes.
>
> Has anyone actually proposed such a thing? That would indeed be
> unnecessarily complex.

The point is that for when part of a road belongs to a route, you'll
either need to:

* split the ways at the start and end point of that route for the road
and at the ways in between to the relation

* or we'll have to make a new segment relation with that part, and add
that one to the route relation.

So that's what I mean with the extra layer of segment relations.

Greetings
Ben