[OSM-talk] Japanese place names not rendered in Mapnik

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 16:31:13 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Artem Pavlenko wrote:
> >> Anyone know what to do about this?
> >
> > Yes - Talk to Artem about adding support to mapnik for fallback
> > fonts, or find us a font we can use instead of DejaVu which is
> > known to support every possible glyph for every character set.
>
> Yes, talk to me:)

As a DejaVu maintainer, we welcome anyone who wants to implement
Japanese and Chinese :-) , you'll probably make many people happy (and
also some unhappy...)

But as I don't see that happening soon, I suggest implementing a fall
back mechanism. Bonus points for adding a language aware mechanism
which chooses different fonts for Chinese, Japanese and Korean, and
different ones for "normal" Arabic, Persian and Urdu :-)

Greetings
Ben