[OSM-talk] Straw Poll - Disk space used by OSM photos/audio

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:55:22 GMT 2008

252MB for 9 mapping trips (1-2 hours I think)
Maybe I should take the quality down so I don't have JOSM running out of
memory.

You mentioned you don't need to knwo GPX traces because they'e on OSM. But
note there may be many people like me that don't upload their traces, I just
open them for use in JOSM and keep them local.

I would love to geotag & upload all my photos to flickr, but now there's a
limit.
(would be even better now that I know how to use the flickr API to get
photos onto a webpage)

On 12/02/2008, Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:

> At 05:57 PM 12/02/2008, John McKerrell wrote:

> >> I bought a 5 megapixel camera with x3(?) optical zoom so that I could
> >> snap street signs across wide-ish streets.  After some tests, I also
> >> settled on 2 megapixels as the ideal size before pixelation sets in.
> >> It results in an average of 0.5 MB per picture.
> >>

> >But what's your total? I think I've had about 10 replies so far so I
> >think we'll just need around 20G somewhere to be able to host an OSM
> >flickr at this rate.
> >
> >John
>
> Home now.  For 2007: 9.7GB / 15,000 photos.  BUT I take massive amounts of
> POI pictures along with street-signs so you'll probably want to discount
> this figure!
>
> Mike
> Stockholm

Gregory