[OSM-talk] User umehlig and some really nasty edits

Lukasz Stelmach stlman at poczta.fm
Mon Feb 18 21:38:15 GMT 2008

Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <2fc2c5f10802110030o6a3ffa5co44052f788813b6c at mail.gmail.com>
>         Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 10, 2008 10:51 PM, Lukasz Stelmach <stlman at poczta.fm> wrote:
>>> All right I confessssss. I have done something like that to the node
>>> 300 a while ago. But while you are considering some solutions to
>>> this problem allow me to explain myself. I tried to find out how to
>>> create and upload osm file by hand (i like vi that myuch ;) But
>>> there is no single word written here
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Protocol_Version_0.5
>>> on how to obtain or create new id. It is described how to create an
>>> object but not how to choose an id for it.
>> As far as I can tell it says it right here:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Protocol_Version_0.5#Basic_Methods_for_Object_Access_and_Manipulation
>>
>> To create you use PUT and it returns an ID.
>
> Indeed. I think the problem is that he is reading a page that
> documents the HTTP API and expecting it to tell him the format
> of a JOSM change file.

No, I was reading the page about HTTP API *and* OSM format which reads

    For each of the above-mentioned object types, the API supports
    these CRUD operations (replace <objtype> by one of node, way,
    relation; ***replace <id> by the id of the object in
    question***):

And I ask: what is the value of the `id' attribute of the object in
question when the ID hasn't been assigned yet? Today I know the
answer but I am afraid anyone who seeks the answer to that question
will focus on this paragraph trying to figure out where to get a new
ID from. The DTD saing `id' is required makes this desire even
stronger while giving no hint at all.

--
By?o mi bardzo mi?o.               Czwarta pospolita kle;ska, [...]
 >?ukasz<                 Juz. nie katolicka lecz z?odziejska.  (c)PP

Masz ostatnia szanse !
Sprawdz >>> http://link.interia.pl/f1d02