[OSM-talk] displayed width of roads

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 12:42:32 GMT 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 12:27 PM, Ben Laenen <benlaenen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Steve Chilton wrote:
> > For mapnik rendering I was thinking of moving tram and light_rail to
> > a new rendering layer which would be placed just after roads and thus
> > draw them after roads - which is probably the norm.
> >
> > Cheers
> > STEVE
>
> Wouldn't that mean that when a tram goes below a road bridge, that it is
> displayed over the bridge?

No. There's about 5 different sets of nested "layers" concepts in the
mapnik rendering setup, from working out that primary roads get drawn
over the top of residential roads to get the casing right (rendering
layers) to things with different layer= tags (tagging layers) to
coastlines being drawn first and POIs last (data layers) to stacking
routes (alpha layers, in the cycle map). It's very hard to get your
head round some of it and very easy to get each type of "layer"
confused - trust me!

Cheers,
Andy