[OSM-talk] Way doesn't appear

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 21 09:46:44 GMT 2008

Listas wrote:
>Sent: 21 February 2008 8:51 AM
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-talk] Way doesn't appear
>
>Hello,
>
>I wait for a week to see my first trace. The trace should appear here:
>
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.29056&lon=-8.66194&zoom=15
>
>For now, I can't see anything only I see something here:
>
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit.html?lat=42.2904&lon=-8.67593&zoom=15
>
>What could be the problem ??
>
>Thank you!

Welcome to OSM :-)

There are two "default" render base layers on the OSM homepage (see the "+"
on the right hand side of the map view window).

The mapnik view, which is the default, is created from a dump of the whole
database made each week and normally available on a Wednesday. It then takes
a few days for new tiles to appear. The result is that if say you make your
edits on a Tuesday you might not see anything on the mapnik layer until
maybe 10 days later.

The osmarender view is based on rendering tiles as new data is added to the
database. Tiles are queued for re-render with a priority number. If you want
the tile rendered more quickly you can go to informationfreeway.org and
manually ask for the tile (at zoom 12) to be refreshed, which will push the
request to priority 1. This will normally be available an hour or few later.
All of this uses the "Tiles at Home" service, ie OSM'ers computers rendering
tiles and uploading them to the Tiles at Home server (which is currently not
hosted at OSM).

Remember that sometimes it is necessary to clear the browser cache to see
recently rendered tiles.

Hope this helps you understand the process better.

Look forward to seeing your edits :-)

Cheers

Andy