[OSM-talk] Osmarender Layer="5", POI and the XSLT

Stuart stuart.srsm at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 10:06:03 GMT 2008

Thanks Dodi

I sort of assumed that a default level of 3 e.g. would have left a bit of
flexibility for something even more important. I suppose by that stage there
is nothing to add so text etc might as well go as high as possible.

I'm hoping to learn more about the osmarender.xsl and POI.

I created a POI layer but clicking on the points didn't result in the
expected 'something' - perhaps I need a tag. Or more likely I need to follow
the process in
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Openlayers_POI_layer_example

If this is the case then the POI layer doesn't seem to do very much. Perhaps
this and the caption layers are split up so that it is possible to process
them as separate files to do some clever dynamic decluttering via checkboxes
on the client?

And with osmarender.xsl I aim to try and understand how it works (looks like
a scary epic). I've read through the W3C pages on XSLT so have a very rough
grasp, but is there an OSM specific document that might help.

In particular I hope to remove the excess style entries in the SVG for the
huge number of feature types that do not exist in the actual data. Might be
a worthwhile performance improvement for the Client not to have to download
250kb or so of unnecessary text and may improve the browser performance as
well (just a guess).

Cheers