[OSM-talk] Raw GPS layer

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 22:46:29 GMT 2008

This would be an interesting thing to try.

AFAIK its relatively easy to add a new layer to the t at h infrastructure and
Osmarender could easily be adapted to render points from GPX files (perhaps
using a pre-processor to convert GPX elements to OSM format nodes and
ways).  I do wonder, however, whether the t at h infrastrcuture is overkill,
just for rendering tracklogs on a map.

It's not likely to be something that I'd have the time to tackle in the near
future, but I'd certainly be willing to provide advice and guidance if
someone else wanted to try to do it.

Generally, the GPX track logs don't get a lot of visibility at the moment,
but its actually a very important part of the OSM project.  It's one of our
primary sources and as such we should be taking a lot more care about
preserving them.

In particular, its very easy for JOSM users to trace from GPX files but then
never upload them.  In the past I've banged on about the importance of
people identifying the source of their contributions.  If the source is a
track log then it really ought to be compulsory to upload that track log,
otherwise we have no way of knowing that the data wasn't derived from some
copyright source.

(It's pretty easy to tell if something has been traced from Yahoo! because
the tracks line up very precisely, although tagging the source as Yahoo! is
still helpful).

As the project grows we will need to be more vigilant about the provenance
of contributions, so it seems to me that a slippy map layer that showed
track logs would be a useful asset to the project.

80n