[OSM-talk] Raw GPS layer

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 17:49:13 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Guilhem Bonnefille
>  <guilhem.bonnefille at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>  >
>  >  Is there any layer presenting ONLY raw GPS data?
>  >
>  >  Actually, we have Mapnik, Osmarender, Maplint, but what about a layer
>  >  with only raw GPS data. This could be usefull (at least for me) to
>  >  manage my own traces. Could be usefull to easily decide if a zone need
>  >  some GPS traces or not.
>
>  Have you seen this?
>
>  http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~random/gps/
>
>  Maybe that could be adapted to provide a tileset in addition to static images.

Would need a pile of changes, for instance a local DB full of points,
to work anywhere near efficiently -- those images were produced fairly
ad-hoc and it wasn't exactly quick. And we'd need a GPS equivalent of
the planet file too, because life is too short to try and query the DB
through the API for any large area.