[OSM-talk] Mapnik: rendering forest or wood

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 08:04:22 GMT 2008

Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> I think the mapnik rendering of forests could be improved.  ATM,
> landuse=forest is not distinguishable from recreation_ground.  Even
> if forest are often used as places for recreation in Germany,
> rendering both areas the same way is not optimal.
>
> For outside activities you want where wood or forest is located.
>
> Thus I'd like to propose to render both landuse=forest and
> natural=wood the same way in a darkish green.  That's also how
> osmarender deals with these areas.

I agree. Anyway, I don't really see the distinction between the two, at
least not in the country I'm living in (Slovenia). And this unclarity
has resulted in some OSM Slovenian users marking certain areas as
natural=wood, while some other mark the similar areas as landuse=forest
(example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=46.411&lon=15.481&zoom=11&layers=B0FT).

Regards,
Igor