[OSM-talk] Mapnik: rendering forest or wood

Bone Killian vitki at bonius.com
Sat Feb 23 15:20:29 GMT 2008

I disagree.  I think there is value in the ability to visually
distinguish managed forests from natural woods.

Consider this area:
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.9567&lon=-77.1919&zoom=13&layers=B0FT

Here, the dark green (natural=wood) is a forest preserve[1] in the
middle of an actively managed forest (landuse=forest).  Logging is
permitted in the light green area, but not in the dark green area.

It seems to me that the best course of action would be to use another,
unique shade of green for recreation_ground.

Bone

[1] http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/oldgrowth/thehook.aspx