[OSM-talk] Parking symbols: YUCK!

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sat Feb 23 20:59:26 GMT 2008

I see that someone has gone ahead and put automatic parking symbols at
the middle of amenity=parking areas in osmarender. This means nearly all
parking is getting two symbols now and it looks AWFUL. (The good news,
though is that the symbol is nearly always close to where I chose to put
a node manually).

Unfortunately removing the related node isn't going to work, because
Mapnik won't then render parking symbols. And it is a lot of work to do
that.

And by the way, even if Mapnik does eventually do this, don't be tempted
to remove P nodes automatically, as some of them have names. The names
would need to be transferred to the area, with all the issues of
conflicts that might throw up.

Since we have contradictory behaviour in the two renderers we can't
resolve this automatically unless osmarender can look and see on the fly
if there is a P node inside the area it is trying to do one for
automatically.

In the meantime, I think osmarender should only do this if there is a
tag on the area (eg osmarender:symbol=yes).

David