[OSM-talk] Parking symbols: YUCK!

J.D. Schmidt jdsmobile at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 01:41:42 GMT 2008

Tom Hughes skrev:
> In message <47C0892E.10708 at frankieandshadow.com>
>           David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately removing the related node isn't going to work, because
>> Mapnik won't then render parking symbols. And it is a lot of work to do
>> that.
>
> I believe it will - as far as I know mapnik has rendered those
> symbols for parking areas for some time.
>
>> Since we have contradictory behaviour in the two renderers we can't
>> resolve this automatically unless osmarender can look and see on the fly
>> if there is a P node inside the area it is trying to do one for
>> automatically.
>
> I believe it is fundamentally wrong to add nodes which duplicate
> areas, although I know it is quite common.
>
> Tom

Let me just remind you all, that there are no "rules". There are only
recommendations. When you all come to realize that, you will find that
it is not a question of whether someone has put a node within an area in
the database, but a question of whether the rendering engine in question
can figure out not to render the node if it has the same icon as an
renderengine-placed icon for the area containing that node.

(If this sounded like the baldheaded "there is no spoon" kid in The
Matrix, SteveC will probably save Zion next year... ;))

Dutch