[OSM-talk] Parking symbols: YUCK!

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Feb 24 12:19:14 GMT 2008

In message <47C15564.5040809 at frankieandshadow.com>
          David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> On 24/02/2008 10:53, J.D. Schmidt wrote:
> > So IMHO it's up to the rendering engines to render the data smartly.
> > It's not the rendering engines that decide what should be put into the DB.
>
> I'm on both sides here: I agree that it would be better not to have both
> a node and an area; OTOH, there's already lots and lots of these, so it
> is shooting ourselves in the foot not to clear up the mess in one way or
> another.
>
> And I'm confused about what Mapnik is actually doing to get this right
> (if indeed it is always getting it right).

Well mapnik actually fakes up nodes during the import into postgis
in this case, so I guess it is doing something clever to avoid faking
up the node if one already exists - it may well be doing a bbox query
against postgis to see if there is already a node within the area.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/