[OSM-talk] Parking symbols: YUCK!

Knut Arne Bjørndal bob+osm at cakebox.net
Sun Feb 24 21:19:00 GMT 2008

David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> writes:

> I see that someone has gone ahead and put automatic parking symbols at
> the middle of amenity=parking areas in osmarender. This means nearly all
> parking is getting two symbols now and it looks AWFUL. (The good news,
> though is that the symbol is nearly always close to where I chose to put
> a node manually).
>
> Unfortunately removing the related node isn't going to work, because
> Mapnik won't then render parking symbols. And it is a lot of work to do
> that.

Part of the reason I added areaSymbol to parking areas is that mapnik _does_ render icons on parking areas. After reading some of this thread I see it has a collision detection system which is the reason you haven't seen duplicate icons there (as long as you placed the node close enough to where mapnik placed the automatic one).

> And by the way, even if Mapnik does eventually do this, don't be tempted
> to remove P nodes automatically, as some of them have names. The names
> would need to be transferred to the area, with all the issues of
> conflicts that might throw up.

If I were working on an area and saw a parking node inside a parking area I'd definitely remove the node, moving tags as needed.

If anybody decides to automatically clean up all the data they'll of course have to handle those cases.

--
Knut Arne Bjørndal
aka Bob Kåre