[OSM-talk] GIS hooligans at Perugia (GRASS - GFOSS Italian Meeting)

Niccolo Rigacci osm at rigacci.org
Mon Feb 25 10:43:04 GMT 2008

Hi to all the OSMers!

A brief thought from the 9th GRASS - GFOSS Italian Meeting
[1] held in Perugia the last week, where I was invited to held a
talk about OpenStreetMap.

The interest about OSM was amazing. The audience was composed by
the top Italian GIS developers and users, in my talk I tried to
focus on both the community approach and on technical details.

I feel good attention and several people asked me after the talk.

I heard someone saying - as a joke - that we are like GIS
hooligans: we do not bother topology, we ignore other spatial
reference systems, we tag unpaved traks as "highway" (sound very
confusing for Italian people!). Despite that we got an amazing
feedback.

The community approach, the achieved results and the deployed
technical solutions were accepted with extreme interest.

After the meeting several people joined the Mapping Party [2]
that was favoured by an early spring with a warm and sunny
Saturday and Sunday (more to come on this).

I wish to thanks all the partecipants and the organization which
make this event possible.

[1] http://www.grassmeeting2008.unipg.it/
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_Italy/IX_Convegno_GRASS-GFOSS_Perugia

--