[OSM-talk] do we have a map feature for this? :)

Stefan Baebler stefan.baebler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 16:25:25 GMT 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Alex S. <maps at swavely.com> wrote:
> Gregory wrote:
>  > Failing the sueing, somebody could make a SatNav that says on the box
>  > 'suitable for lorries' or an option to set your veichle type. (using OSM
>  > data why not).
The lorry version of the same device would probably cost 10x as the
regular car system. Truckers on the budget will opt for the cheapest
device as long as there is no significant penalty for getting stuck
between the trees.

>  I went looking for extra POIs for my TomTom and noticed that there is a
>  set of 'low clearance' POIs available for it.  I would not be surprised
>  if something similar was available for other units.

Ok, so some data does exist. But will the existing routing software
proparly take them into account when calculating the route? I believe
existing satnav software enables you to find such a POI nearby, and
even calculates the optimal route to it ... but am afraid this is not
the goal here. "Where is the nearest low bridge and how do i get to
it?" isn't exactly the question someone would ask. Or are there such
things as "POIs to avoid"?

greets,
Stefan