[OSM-talk] Gpx: non-public traces in JOSM/Potlatch and milliseconds in timestamps with JOSM

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Feb 26 12:48:30 GMT 2008

Hi,

> JOSM does not upload gpx traces for you, neither does
> potlatch. (The "traces" part of the webpage is outside potlatch)
>
> Don't upload converted GPX tracks as OSM data without heavy cleanup.

In my case the original shapefiles are usually in good shape :) Field data collector software takes care of not storing too many nodes. But the software has its own native data format and only shapefiles as another output option.  Therefore I need to make conversion to gpx so I can upload the data for evidence of the origin. Conversion and uploading is not any problem but the problem is more in how to make it in such a way that other users can utilise my measuments best. Until now I have just inserted the same timestamp for every trackpoint. In that case JOSM makes correct data layer, but Potlatch users cannot get those tracks visible at all because it seems to need advancing timestamps in order to build a path on screen. With one second increments both software seem to feel happy.

Regards,

-Jukka Rahkonen-