[OSM-talk] [Talk-GB] reminder: 2nd Birmingham Micro Mapping Event - Inside theRingroad - Sunday 2nd March

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 26 16:30:50 GMT 2008

Mike Paley [mailto:mike at pmailkeey.wanadoo.co.uk] wrote:
>Sent: 26 February 2008 3:38 PM
>To: Andy Robinson (blackadder)
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] reminder: 2nd Birmingham Micro Mapping Event -
>Inside theRingroad - Sunday 2nd March
>
>Hi Andy,
>
>> The 2nd Birmingham Micro Mapping Event - Inside the Ringroad - which
>follows
>> on from the success of the first one a month ago, is scheduled for this
>> Sunday morning 2nd March starting at 9:00am (meeting at Millennium
>Point).
>> morning of mapping fun for all, no GPS required. We'll reconvene in one
>of
>> the local hostelries at lunchtime :-)
>>

>Which one ?

We usually decide that when everyone is there. Last time we simply wandered
into one of the eateries by the canal at Brindley Place. This time I'm sure
we will do something similar on the east side or around Aston University
(Sack or Potatoes or something perhaps). Communicating via mobile phone on
the day makes it all very easy and relaxed.

>How many people turn up to these 'events' ?

Varies a great deal. Last time for the Sunday morning there were 4 of us.

>What do you do ? (especially without a GPS receiver ?)

Later this week I will upload the data from some out-of-copyright mapping
for the target area. It's just the street alignments. On the Sunday we
gather the names of the streets, locations and extents of the major landuse
areas and add in all the other interesting stuff. Those with GPS receivers
get those new streets and changes of configuration etc. Usually we carve up
an area to avoid too many overlaps.

>What area do you anticipate covering in the morning ?

Again it depends on numbers. I'd expect to complete the area around Aston
University and around to the A34 in the north and around to A41 in the
south. All inside the middle ringroad. Some of the area is partly done
already. Anyone is of course quite at liberty to map elsewhere if they wish
too. Its all got to be done this year :-)

>Mike (curious!).

Hope we'll see you? It's very relaxed and a lot of fun and I always find a
lot of new things I never knew about the area.

Cheers

Andy