[OSM-talk] Trouble in Rangoon [x-post]

Andrew Harris andrew at woowoowoo.com
Wed Feb 27 22:41:12 GMT 2008

Dirk,

> That tile has had data changed on 2008-02-25 (the changedTiles
> requester
> caught it)
> this was quite possibly a delete.

the damage had been done by then - the activity was possibly me making
a couple of minor alterations in the hope of getting potlatch to show
stuff that wasn't being shown on mapnik/osmarenderer.

> The osmarender layer is rendered directly from api output, so
> basically
> reflects the current state of affairs, if no rendering problems arise.
>
> the better you can narrow in the area, and maybe more importantly the
> time of the deletion there is a way.
> If the area is not too big you can use potlatch's "undelete" (zoom to
> area, press "U") to resurrect ways one-by-one.

The area is pretty obvious when you view the location.
> http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=16.796&lon=96.1546&zoom=13&layers=B0FT
... what should be a fairly complex city, is an empty space covering
several square kilometers.
As I remember, there were many hundreds of ways, so undeleting would
be an impractical and haphazard approach, even if I could get it to
work (which I can't!). I don't know what is supposed to happen when
pressing 'U'. Potlatch seems to start fetching data from OSM but
nothing ever displays for me.

The time of 'disappearance' is less certain. I am sure it's in the
last month, probably the last fortnight, but closer than that, I can't
say.

I certainly hope there is a way of retrieving this lost data - makes
me nervous about investing substantial time and effort into creating
ways that can be 'blown away' like this.

Andrew Harris
37.7638°S 144.9411°E