[OSM-talk] Trouble in Rangoon

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 28 09:49:39 GMT 2008

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>Sent: 28 February 2008 9:37 AM
>To: OSM Talk
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Trouble in Rangoon
>
>David Ebling wrote:
>
>> I too am not going to spend much more time
>> contributing to OSM unless someone comes up with a
>> solution to this. As I said, I simply don't have the
>> skills to do it myself, but the prospect of someone (a
>> commercial map company getting worried for example)
>> coming along and wiping out entire cities, countries,
>> or even the world, makes me feel the investment of
>> time is at risk.
>
>There's never any danger of loss of data. Any deleted ways are still
>there in the database. It's just, Potlatch's undelete-one-by-one
>feature aside, we don't have a _simple_ way of recovering them - but
>nonetheless it's possible.
>
>The need for area-level revert is known and understood, we just never
>have enough programmers to do all the funky things that need doing...

Indeed, though to help the original user out perhaps we can have a concerted
effort to get any deleted data returned. needs someone with a bit of time to
investigate properly. Have therefore copied to dev.

Thread is at
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2008-February/thread.html#2372
1

As for improving the problem overall, I think perhaps a bounty is needed?

Cheers

Andy