[OSM-talk] relations

Jo ml at winfix.it
Wed Jan 2 15:52:47 GMT 2008

Hi list,

I'm adding relations for bus routes and now I'm going to start using
them for cycle routes and signed walking paths. I have a few questions
about them and their implementation in the editors though. I find that
I'm splitting up roads a lot to indicate that a specific part of it is
part of a route. Say somebody comes after me and uses Potlatch or JOSM
to combine these streets again. Would this be possible? Or is it somehow
prevented? I should probably try it out sometime.

The other way around is that I say that a chunk of a primary road is
part of my bus route. Then somebody comes by and splits this in two. I
tried this in josm and all of a sudden only the first part of the
primary road remained part of the relation. (I think this was before
committing it to the DB). Ideally when a road that is part of a relation
is split, both parts should become parts of the relation(s).

And when somebody tries to combine two parts of a road, where one part
belongs to a relation, this should be prevented. Preferably with a
message like: 'part of a relation' or something of the kind.

Polyglot