[OSM-talk] Adding vmap0 road data to OSM

J.D. Schmidt jdsmobile at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 22:51:44 GMT 2008

Will Harrison skrev:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm involved with the FlightGear Flight Simulator (http://www.flightgear.org)
> and I've volunteered to help the custom scenery project
> (http://www.custom-scenery.org/Home.223.0.html)
> by adding vmap0 road data to OSM. I originally tried to start this task on
> my own, but I quickly realized that I probably won't be able to do this on
> my own. Basically, I'm wondering if anyone is interested in helping.
>
> Vmap0 contains road data for the entire world. The road data is available
> here:
> ftp://ftp.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGear/TGShapes/
>
> The file that contain the road data are called "roads_freeway.tar.bz2" and
> "roads_road.tar.bz2". Once extracted, the data can be loaded into an editor
> like QGIS. Then it's possible to view the roads and add them to OSM.
>
> This would benefit the custom scenery project, since once all the vmap0 road
> data have been added to OSM the intent is to use OSM data for the scenery.
> But I think this could also be very helpful to the OSM project, as vmap0
> contains data for the entire world and it would give OSM at least rough
> coverage of the entire globe. Is anyone interested in helping?

vmap0, at least for Denmark (and probably a lot of other countries in
Europe) is hopelessly outdated, and hopelessly imprecise. I've seen
discrepancies of between 400 to 1800 meters error for the location of
danish roads in vmap0 (and no, it was not due to different datums used).

So IMNSHO, thanks, but no thanks for any country where there already are
data.

Dutch