[OSM-talk] Adding vmap0 road data to OSM

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 19:16:53 GMT 2008

On Jan 6, 2008 10:31 AM, Igor Brejc <igor.brejc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Karl Newman wrote:
> > I'll wholeheartedly concur here. I looked at openstreetmap early in
> > 2007 and concluded it wasn't quite ready for primetime, because there
> > was almost no mapping done in the US. I came back a few months later
> > and noticed the TIGER data being added and decided it was worth my
> > time after all. If you can get even the major road networks done, it's
> > a key starting point that can draw people in.
> >
> > Karl
> >

> Heh, one anectodal evidence of the opposite kind: when I saw 4 months
> ago the area where I live was almost completely blank, it gave me an
> extra motive to get involved - I would be the first person to map the
> area :).
>
> Cheers,
> Igor

Well, my perspective was as a data consumer. I was looking for data
which could be converted to routable Garmin GPS maps... I've done a
little bit of mapping, mostly along my commute route, and I try to
remember to take my GPS along any time we're going someplace I haven't
collected traces for yet (my wife rolls her eyes), but so far I've
been putting more effort into programming and guiding tag proposals so
that they're compatible with the GPS map requirements.

Karl