[OSM-talk] Highway and Ralyway - tram_stop's and the like

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 11:26:18 GMT 2008

Robin Paulson wrote:
> voting has now closed for this proposal, it has been approved, with 20
> yes votes, and 1 no vote
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Tram_station
>
> it will be moved to the approved features and map features pages

Should it be used for the stops on the track of a bus_guideway ;)

I do think that taking a lot of these features in isolation is missing the
whole picture.
Add the rich diversity world wide and things become even more complex.

We need to define some basic rules and follow them.
Station and halt can be distinguished easily, a tram_stop may have nothing
more than a bus stop type sign on the side of the road which the tram tracks run.
A stop on a guided bus way is more like a railway halt than a bus stop or tram
stop, since it requires a platform and access to the trackway. You can't just
stop a vehicle anywhere on the track. This is why the discussion on some tag
details become somewhat complex and miss information messes the discussion.

People are happy to identify trams as 'railway' yet the tracks may simply be
laid in the highway, and yet they are trying to force bus guideways to be
'highways' while the use of them would be as dangerous as using a railway line!

The main problem I see is trying to group bus priority lanes which ARE
'highway' 'access=psv' along with dedicated bus trackways as demonstrated by
the Cambridge and Adelaide tracks. There are probably some trackways that are
little more than protected roads, but where a 'trackway' has been built for a
specific purpose then it SHOULD be classified as a railway and access to it
treated as such?

And then we can classify stops on this track as tram_stop, although I think in
reality they will be railway=halt ?

In addition, railway=crossing and railway=level_crossing are being built on
the Cambridge busway as far as I understand?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL