[OSM-talk] voting open - museum

Tony Bowden tony at tmtm.com
Thu Jan 10 20:46:32 GMT 2008

Robin Paulson wrote:
> this proposal is for two things: a new tag, tourism=museum and the
> deprecation of the old tag, historic=museum
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Museum

I was going to comment on the page, but it seems like a wider issue. Why
are some things like this only for nodes, and others for areas?

Currently a museum is only a node and I'm not sure why - they're often
quite big, taking the space of at least a block or two.

For a rather bizarre example, an intact castle is only a node, but the
ruins of a castle can be an area.

Is there previous discussion on this somewhere? Would it not make sense
to allow all amenity / shop / tourism / historic etc to be areas unless
specifically decided otherwise?

Tony