[OSM-talk] proposal templates

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jan 11 01:29:59 GMT 2008

Hi,

> Unless I'm misunderstanding what we need here, Mediawiki Templates
> aren't quite what we want: we want something more akin to Templates in
> Word, where you 'clone' the template and then edit it to what you want.
> Mediawiki templates require passing in arguments to the call to them,
> which isn't really suitable for large clumps of text.

In my experience they're very suitable for this. You can have named
parameters, and then call a template like so:

{{MyTemplate

|parameter1=
This is a really long chung of text that is being passed into the
template as parameter1 and can be used there.

|otherparameter=
This is another longish sentence which will be passed to the template
under the name otherparameter.

}}

If you care to look at the page "Things To Do" and the matching
"Template::ToDoTask" - a scheme like this could easily be used for
proposals etc.

Bye
Frederik