[OSM-talk] Why place matters, slides from Vanessa Lawrence talk

Artem Pavlenko artem.mapnik at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 11 11:48:51 GMT 2008

On 11 Jan 2008, at 11:21, David Earl wrote:

> On 11/01/2008 00:55, Jon Burgess wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 00:09 +0000, martin dodge wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just found an interesting set of slides of a talk by Vanessa
>>> Lawrence, OS
>>> http://www.w3.org/2007/06/eGov-dc/presentations/
>>> VL_why_place_matters.pdf
>>> with some prominent mentions for OSM. I particularly liked slide 46
>>>

>> The map in his screenshot must be from quite some time ago. The same
>> area of central London now has considerably more data
>
> I think that misses the point. There are still many, many other areas
> where there is still just as little data, but that's not the point
> either.
>
> The key thing is 'how do you know?'. If you look at the current
> coverage
> of that London area, it probably looks quite convincing now,
> whereas in
> her slide it was obviously incomplete, yet I bet it isn't (in fact, I
> know it isn't - there are numerous missing streets in the densely
> mapped
> central London). How would I know this? How do I know whether I can
> trust this map or not? (*)
>
> This was and remains one of my key concerns about OSM as a project.
> I've
> said before and I'll say again: we need a way of asserting "this
> area is
> complete" (for one or more definitions of completeness).

I see your concerns. Having some kind of completeness test and be
able to say : this area is 'complete' would be a strong point.
On the other hand, is Wikipedia complete? I don't think so. Nothing
is compete:)

> Incidentally, this is exacerbated by the lazy rendering rule for
> Mapnik

What do you mean by 'lazy' rule?  AFAIK, all available hardware is
working hard day an night :)

> - I was puzzled when someone said to me the other day "why is this
> housing estate not connected to the rest of the road network?". It
> was;
> but adjacent Mapnik tiles were inconsistent (both laterally and by
> zoom
> level - and this wasn't a recently mapped area). You may not think
> this
> matters, but I think this is a public face and it causes further
> confusion and mistrust.

We can certainly improve here. Suggestions ?

Artem