[OSM-talk] Why place matters, slides from Vanessa Lawrence talk

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Jan 11 13:09:03 GMT 2008

On 11/01/2008 13:00, Artem Pavlenko wrote:

>> (a) Mapnik works on planet, yes?
>
> No, it works on postgis db which is populated with osm2pgsql from planet.

Yes, I know that. I meant that it is coming from planet, not directly
derived from the main database like osmarender.

>> So perhaps use the planet diffs to determine areas which have changed
>> and proactively mark all such areas dirty.
>
> The problem is how to merge planet diff into postgis , I think Jonb has
> done some work/research in this area.
> Are there existing tools (osmosis?) that given a planet diff would
> return 'dirty' areas?

Everything listed in a planet diff is by definition dirty, yes. I don't
think you;d need to change the rendering process at all - keep on
converting the full planet to database; just have a new means for
marking dirty areas - derived from the lat/lons of all nodes in the
planet diff corresponding to the current planet, plus the lat/lons of
all nodes of all ways listed in the diff.

David