[OSM-talk] OSM needs a measure for completeness

Chris Morley c.morley at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jan 12 15:48:34 GMT 2008

Martin Trautmann wrote:
 > Is OSM that far that we need verification and quality ensurance?
 > We are still far from completeness, which might be a primary goal.

I have started a new thread with a measure for completeness in the title
because this is an important topic for OSM. But the response to the
recent posts quoted above, and my raising of it last July, has been only
luke-warm.

I wonder whether this is because "completeness" is associated in
people's minds too closely with verification. As Andy has describes it
in the (incomplete) quote above, verification involves individual
accountability - "I personally accept responsibility for the accuracy of
this data". I don't think this is suitable for OSM at the moment; it may
be necessary in the future if and when OSM becomes a serious alternative
to commercial suppliers - but not yet. I, and probably others, are eager
to make their contributions of as high quality as possible, but are wary
about making a public and personal commitment to their accuracy.

As is the case for all other mapping information, an assertion of
completeness should only imply the best endeavours of the contributor,
not a guarantee of 100% correctness. If you have ridden round a housing
estate systematically and collected all the required information, you
can reasonably say the area covered is complete. With this
understanding, completeness would become part of routine mapping. It
would encourage a systematic approach and the collection of any missed
information.

A possible detailed approach is as follows. A completeness boundary
would be modelled on coastline: it would enclose an area, but would
consist of many (ordinary) ways, with the completed area on the right.
They would be tagged with one (or possibly more) definitions of
completeness like "major roads", "public roads", "public paths", which
would be defined on a wiki page. Boundary ways would be moved or added
on a day-to-day basis by anybody with local knowledge. An area might
even have holes in it.  Somebody would provide an overview map showing
completed areas, and its animation would feature in most presentations
on OSM.

OSM really needs a measure for local completeness to demonstrate its
progress externally. I hope enough people can be roused to discuss, and
hopefully agree, the principles, before deciding on an implementation.

Chris