[OSM-talk] OSM needs a measure for completeness

Tom Higgy higgy-lists at bandnet.org
Sat Jan 12 19:50:43 GMT 2008

Chris Morley wrote:
> OSM really needs a measure for local completeness to demonstrate its
> progress externally. I hope enough people can be roused to discuss, and
> hopefully agree, the principles, before deciding on an implementation.

Would it make any sense at all to consider it from the other angle, as
in a measure of incompleteness, as well as completeness. That is make it
easy for people to say 'there is a road missing here' or 'that's
actually called hol demi close'? Then you verify these measures of in
accuracy and the area is complete again.

I think it could work if there were enough people marking errors in a
particular area, and would make it easier for those without the kit
(i.e. GPS or aerial imagery) to get involved.

At the same time, of course, it would help to be able to say a
particular user has verified this area to be complete at this particular
point in time (changes happen, if you don't know when the area was
marked complete you won't know a past development actually applies).
--
Cheers,

Tom
- www.bandnet.org